The Padthaway township was established in 1952 and is situated on the Riddoch Highway, 300 km south of Adelaide.
Today, Padthaway is a thriving small community in the Limestone Coast. The many farm industries, including vines, onions, cropping, mixed grazing and irrigation of pasture seeds provide employment for a population of around 220, which in turn supports a primary school of 45 students.
Most of the original soldier settlers have passed on their land to the next generation, many of who still farm the land to this day.
Padthaway thrives on locally run events and groups including football, netball, tennis, golf, cricket, lawn bowls, ambulance and country fire services and religious organisations. These community groups make Padthaway a very close knit township, well supported by many volunteers.
The local community is serviced by a General Store/Post Office, Deli, Mechanical and Engineering workshop, agricultural contractors, freight companies and a tyre repairer, which are all owned and operated by local families. There are also two large agribusiness companies operating within the town.
Tatiara District Council
Welcome to the “Good Country”, which is in the northern section of the Limestone Coast area of South Australia.
The Tatiara region includes Bordertown, Keith, Mundulla, Padthaway, Wolseley, Willalooka and Western Flat.
It is one of the largest Local Government areas in South Australia with an area of 6,476 square kilometres and a population of around 6,580.
To find out more information about Padthaway and the greater Tatiara district, visit www.tatiara.sa.gov.au
In 1944, the CSIRO recommended the region for horticulture due to its rich soil, underground water supply and Mediterranean climate with coastal influences.
Vineyards were first established by Seppelt in Padthaway in 1964 quickly followed by Lindemans, Hardys (1968) and Wynns.
The Padthaway Wine region was gazetted for GIC status on 29th September 1999. Today the region is represented by the majority of major wine companies and an increasing number of private producers.
The Padthaway Wine Region is quite distinct being some 62 kilometres long and 8 kilometres wide with the Riddoch Highway running through the middle and comprising 345 square kilometres. There are now more than 4000 hectares of vineyard planted with the predominant varieties being Shiraz, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon with the red varieties Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon making up 50% of the total vineyard plantings in the region. There are however significant plantings of other varieties such Riesling, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Traminer and Pinot Noir, with expanding plantings of newer varieties such as Viognier and Pinot Gris.
The unique granite “Padthaway Marker” symbolises the region’s agricultural enterprises of livestock, grain, seeds, horticulture and vineyards.
Padthaway Wine Region endorses Entwine Australia as the principal vehicle to convey the Australian wine industry’s sustainability credentials.
For further information about the Padthaway Region & Entwine Australia, please contact the AWRI on 08 8313 6600 or visit the website.
Historical evidence shows that sea once covered the Padthaway region, with the ranges running parallel to the coast being coastal sand dunes. This is evident from the limestone now found beneath our soil.
In the mid 1800’s this land was covered by freshwater for much of the year and referred to as “Mosquito Plains”.
Robert Lawson, a Scottish immigrant, took out a pastoral lease in 1847 which covered an area of 47 square miles. He named his new home, “Padthaway Station” and the original stone cottage of Robert and Eliza Lawson is still in use today.
In 1872 the government reclaimed parts of the Lawson’s run, then offered blocks of land for sale at the “Village of Cockatoo Lake” which was later renamed “Keppoch”. This land was gradually cleared for cropping and grazing with sawmills and timber workers processing the huge red gums in the area for use as sleepers to support railway lines.
Another large group of farming blocks was taken up in 1936 by farmers in the Hundred of Glenroy. Following World War 2, soldier settlement blocks were allocated closer to the Padthaway Station homestead and irrigation began being developed using the underground water resource.
Today, Padthaway is a versatile agricultural region with outstanding production being achieved by both dryland and irrigated methods. The variety of commodities produced includes grapes, onions, cereals, pulses, pasture seeds, vegetables, sheep and cattle.
The Potawurutj Aborigines named this place Padthaway meaning, ‘Good Water’.